Saturday, April 16, 2011

April 16 2011: (What’s the Story) Morning Glory?

There are good movies and there are good songs, and then when you get both in the same package, well it’s just sublime. Went to see Morning Glory last night, and really enjoyed it for so many reasons. It’s sort of got this Bridget Jones / Mary Tyler Moore vibe about it, irrepressibly perky girl makes good in the big city. Rachel McAdams is almost unbearably goofy, but it kind of works. I mean, We’ve all had those awkward days (haven’t we?). Harrison Ford is magnificently grumpy as the bitter hard-nosed journalist who finds himself on breakfast TV, and his voice! It sounds like he's been drinking gravel smoothies for breakfast. And Diane Keaton is just splendid opposite him, gamely trying to keep it all going.

I only had two small quibbles – one, that Patrick Wilson’s role was basically just to be man candy – that relationship was barely interesting. Also, the scene when she’s running across New York. In 6 inch heels. Oh please. I hate this constant promotion of high heels as viable footwear, in fact the only acceptable footwear for attractive women. Still, I suppose I should get off my high horse about that.

Anyway, any minor quibbles are swept away by the magnificence of the soundtrack, especially:

  • The Weepies, Same Changes
  • Imelda May, Johnny Got a Boom Boom
  • Paolo Nutini, New Shoes
  • Newton Faulkner, Gone in the Morning
  • And… Colin Hay, Waiting for My Real Life to Begin – beautiful.
The Imelda May song is playing during one particular montage, and I’m sorry to say I barely heard the song because I was laughing uncontrollably, tears streaming down my cheeks. Sorry to my movie buddies – unfortunately I don’t come with a mute button.

Lovely day here in Paris today, sunny but not too hot. Got up this morning and went to the market, then Coutume for lunch with a friend, and now just about to start cooking dinner. Have planned a menu which will hopefully not kill my guests with food – might just stick to 3 ½ courses instead of the usual 5…

No comments:

Post a Comment