Tuesday, October 18, 2011

18 October 2011: Postcard from Paekakariki

Paekakariki is a small settlement on a narrow strip of land between the looming hills and the sea, about 45 minutes north of Wellington. It's about three blocks wide and two kilometres long. It's got a fruit shop, a church hall and an over-priced general store, and it's also got a deli and a tattoo artist. There are at least three places where you can get a decent flat white, so it's not completely removed from civilization. It's also where my Dad lives.

I stood on the beachfront this morning, watching the high tide wash the rocks, and thinking what a great holiday it's been so far - and how quickly it's gone. I've got exactly two weeks left in the country before I head back into the Parisian winter - but I won't be thinking about that for the time being. I'll try to recap the last few weeks here and get up to date before I leave. But in the meantime here are some photos from this morning (you'll have to scroll down because Blogger is doing something funny to me):











































































































Looking south down the coast to Pukerua Bay
Looking north to Kapiti






All the photos so far: September 2011 - Rugby World Cup trip

No comments:

Post a Comment