Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Top Ten Best Restaurants in Paris, updated

(That You’ve Never Heard Of)

I recommend booking ahead, or at least calling to make sure they’re not closed. Most of them are not super-cheap, but they’re all unique experiences.

L'alchemiste
181 rue de Charenton
Sorry 14 juillet, this is now my new favourite restaurant. Classic food, fresh ingredients, and refreshing variations (duck pastilla anyone?). Nice old-fashioned decor too. In a remote corner of the 12th but worth the trek - you won't be sorry. But you definitely need to book here.

14 Juillet
99 rue Didot, 14th arrondissement.
Traditional French with a twist.
Fantastic service, traditional food, but always with a bit of a twist. Generous portions, great wine, and a real welcoming atmosphere. Well off the tourist trail, only the locals know about this gem.

Chez l’ami Jean
27 rue Malar, 7th arrondissement
Basque with attitude
I speak French, but even I needed the menu translated. It was phrased in completely obscure food terms that I had never come across – sometimes this can be pretentious, but actually here is it more adventurous.

Fish la Boissonerie
69, rue de Seine, 6th arrondissement
French with an international twist.
New Zealand owned, but that’s not why I’m recommending it, Fish is one of my favourites. Three courses for 32 euros, high quality French food (with lots of fish) and the menu is printed every day. I take everyone here, because it’s so reliable. Highlight is the amazing wine list and the fresh Italian flat bread baked at Cosi across the road.

Le Grenier Voyageur
3 Rue Yves Toudic, 10th arrondissement
Exotic meat from around the world, cosy atmosphere. Reasonably priced. I recommend the zebra.

La Boussole
12 Rue Guisarde, 6th arrondissement.
Traditional French dishes with a touch of Moroccan spice. I take most people here and they love it.

La Domaine de Lintillac
10, rue Saint Augustin, 2nd arrondissement
I used to live just around the corner from the one in the 7th, so imagine my delight when I stumbled across the one in the 2nd. They also have them in the 9th and 16th. I don't usually do franchises, but what these people can't do with duck isn't worth doing... 

Le Mesturet
77, rue de Richelieu, 2nd arrondissement
Yet another team of young, enthusiastic staff with classic dishes with a twist... But I never get tired of eating this sort of food. It has my aunt and uncle's stamp of approval, which is saying something.  And their Paris-Brest is worth skipping an entree for.

Le Chartier
7, rue du Faubourg-Montmartre, 9th arrondissement.
Cheap and cheerful worker’s canteen food in art-nouveau setting. Get there early to beat the queues.

Yes, I know, that's only 9 - am still trying to think of another new one.

No comments:

Post a Comment