Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Monkeywatch

I’ve done my time in hostels and even in tents – enough to appreciate a bit of luxury when I can afford it. Like a capsule coffee machine in my room… it’s the little things that make the difference.







I am so not sticking my feet in there....
I thought a good way to start my first full day at the resort (after a coffee of course) was the “rainforest awakening” walk, to discover the local wildlife. We learnt about the different levels of rainforest, spider lilies, pandan leaves (used in thai cooking), and that there are 23 different varieties of banana. We also had a nice view back across the bay, and got to see a couple of dusky leaf monkeys leaping from tree to tree (which I got confused with the colugo, but more about that later).







From September 2011 - Rugby World Cup trip
Our guide warned us about the macaque monkeys, which are light gray and very common around the resort. Apparently we shouldn’t leave our windows open as apparently they will come in and steal our fruit platters, and even raid the minibar! Apparently they have a thing for Toblerone. Well you don’t need to tell me twice – especially because I really don’t need any little “monkey presents” messing up my nice pristine hotel room.







From September 2011 - Rugby World Cup trip
We also learnt about the fig wasp – there are over 200 varieties of fig in Malaysia, and the same quantity of fig wasps. They have a particularly symbiotic relationship with the fruit, which emits a scent to attract the pregnant female. She crawls into the fruit, lays her eggs and dies. The males hatch first, and eat the part of the fruit that is trapping them inside. They then break the egg sacs of the females who can’t do this themselves (Mother Nature not having heard of equal opportunities). The males then fertilise the females, and die (no comment). The females then emerge from the fruit and set off on a long journey to find another fruit to die in. There’s got to be a metaphor in there for something or other.






Spider lilies.
I felt a little bit self-conscious walking into breakfast asking for a table for one, when the rest of the resort is filled with families or (ick) honeymooners, but the staff seem to have got a memo, probably from my parents, to be as nice to me as possible. They are all “How are you today Miss Catherine?”, and bringing me extra fruit juice, which is adorable.

By some massive effort of will I managed to not go completely nuts at the breakfast buffet. I used to regard it as my sacred calling to try everything – but hey, I have four days, so I can pace myself. But the breakfast is gooood. And the coffee is… acceptable. I sat in the shade by the pool and read the Sunday Times that I had been saving it for a special occasion. (ahem – since June).








Then I thought the pool warranted closer inspection. And my book. And then the pool again. And then the beach. Time passed. (Today was a quiet day).






From September 2011 - Rugby World Cup trip
In the evening I went for a walk all the way along the beach and back. I wanted to check out the other hotel, the Datai, but it seemed even quieter than here. On my way down to the beach, I came across a family group of monkeys, and there was a tense moment as the alpha male stared me down. But I wasn’t carrying any visible Toblerone about my person, so they moved on.






The pool at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment